Pond Design Example
Updated April 12, 2019
This article applies to:
- RoadEng Civil
- RoadEng Forestry
Download the tutorial files for this example HERE.
This example will demonstrate how to:
- create sections with the original ground surface and a designed pond
- calculate volumes using the Average End Area method.
- create a profile showing Existing and Proposed elevations.
Prior to starting this example the following TIN surfaces were created.
Original Surface (OG) – “Topo.terx”
Original Surface (OG)
Designed Surface (FG)
Creating A New Location Design
- Open the Location module and choose menu File | New.
- When prompted open the original ground terrain Topo.terx from the appropriate folder.
Figure 1: Original GroundSurface Dialog
- When the Initial Alignment dialog appears, choose feature CL-0. Press Next.
Figure 2: Initial Alignment dialog
NOTE: CL-0 feature was selected in the OG terrain file.
- When the Initial Cross Section dialog appears, choose Standard Template. Then press Finish.
Setting Up The Cross Sections
- Select Module | Setup to open the Location Setup dialog box below. Select the Alignment tab click on the Terrains button to open the Reference Terrains dialog box shown below. Select PondFinal.terx.
Figure 3: Reference Terrain dialog.
- Change the Auto Report Points to 2m. spacing with Automatic calculation, Setup | Location Setup | Alignment | Report Point Properties.(see figure below).
Figure 4: Set 2m Report Points.
- Open the Template Editor (Home | Templates) and Merge in FollowSurfaceComponent.tpl (included with this example). Press OK to exit the Template Editor.
Figure 5: Merge FollowSurfaceComponent.tpl
Choose menu Home | Assign Parameters by Range. In the Templates tab select template FS0 Follow Surface, Set the station from and/to .. and press Add/Edit. The dialog should appear as shown below.
Figure 6: Assign By Range Dialog
Adjusting the Profile to Match Designed Pond
- From the View menu choose Retrieve Screen Layout.Choose layout OutputSections.dlt provided with this example.
- Maximize the Profile Window and right click and choose menu Profile Options.Check the Reference Surfaces option and click on the “+” button to choose reference PondFinal.terx as shown in figure below.
Figure 8: Profile Reference Surface
- Press OK twice to return to the Profile window.It should appear similar to screen in the figure below.
Figure 9: Profile with Final Pit Reference Surface
- Using standard profile editing tools, insert points along the ground and pit surface using the mouse.The result should appear shown in the figure below.
Figure 10: Profile with Final Pit Reference Surface
- This completes the example.