Exporting to a Spreadsheet
Updated May 19, 2016
This article applies to:
- Terrain 3D
- Terrain Forestry
- RoadEng Civil
- RoadEng Forestry
Download the files associated with this example: Exporting to a Spreadsheet.zip
In this example we will export areas and lengths from Terrain to a spreadsheet.
1. Start Terrain. Open file “Blocks.TER” (included with this example).
Figure 1 – Blocks.Ter
2. From menu File | SaveAs file type ASCII and enter the name BLOCKS and the Export Options dialog box (Figure 2) will appear.
Figure 2 – ASCII Export Options Dialog
Note: It is possible to export either Points or Features.
Point attributes correspond to individual points. E.g. x,y,z, station, point number etc.
Feature attributes correspond to each feature E.g. feature name, area, length etc.
3. In the Export Options dialog select Feature, Include column titles and change the Delimiter to Comma.
4. Press the Add/Remove button to activate the Attribute Options dialog.
Figure 3 – Attribute Options Dialog
5. Add attributes Full Name, Area, and Length and press OK twice to begin exporting.
6. Open Excel® and select menu File | Open. Set files of type to All File. Choose BLOCKS.ASC.
7. When prompted in Excel choose delimited and set the delimiter to be comma.
8. Figure shows the resulting Worksheet in Excel.
Figure 4 – Areas and lengths