Moving A Network License Manager To Another Server
Updated October 15, 2019
This article applies to:
- Terrain 3D
- Terrain Forestry
- RoadEng Civil
- RoadEng Forestry
- Softree Optimal
On the Current Server
Step 1 - Check Status of the Nodes / Active Licenses
Before starting to move your network license manager, please check to ensure that you do not have any active nodes. To do that:
- Open the current Network License Manger
- Review the status of the connected nodes - we are looking to see all the nodes available
- If there are active nodes, you can determine which computers by viewing the 'Connected Computers' tab and contact the individuals.
- If there are checked out node (offline nodes) - these can remain offline. Advise the individuals with checked out nodes NOT to force a check in. Let them expire on their own. If you need to check a license in before expiry and after migration, please contact Softree.
Step 2 - Return the Current Network License Key
- With the Network License Manager open - select Display License Manager
- Copy your product license code and save into location (ie. email, notepad etc).
- Press RETURN
Repeat Steps 1-2 for all products in the license manager. Once complete, you can now delete and unistall the license manager executable.
On the NEW Server
Step 3 Install the Network Executable
Install the network executable software on the server or computer designated as the server. This installs as a tray executable with a background service process. Once installed, you can locate it in the desktop tray.
Step 4 Load the Previous Product Key / Configure the Options
Once installed, the network executable should automatically launch. If you cannot locate it open your desktop tray (or press the shortcut link on your desktop):
- Press the + button to add a product key
- The license manager dialog will be displayed, enter the network license code that you saved from the other server (or refer to your licensing email from Softree)
- Press "ACTIVATE".
- After the activation is complete, you will be shown a summary, press "CONTINUE".
Back in the license manager main area, you can now configure your network license options:
- Set a License Name
- Set a Port Code - the default is 8080, but you can configure this manually if that port is already in use by another software or device.
- Configure Check out length - adjust the slider to limit the length of time one of the users can take the software offline (1-30 days).
- Press "SAVE".
Step 5 Configure your Firewall (Optional)
If you have a firewall you need to either open the port you choose or add Softree License Server to the list of exceptions.
To create a firewall rule based on the software:
- On the Start menu, click Run, type WF.msc, and then click OK.
- Select Inbound Rules, then Click New Rule...
- Ensure "Program" is selected and click Next.
- Ensure "This program path:" is selected and then click Browse. Navigate to the folder you installed Softree License Manager to (default folder is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Softree\License Manager Server). Select SoftreeNetworkService.exe and then click Next.
- Ensure Allow the connection is selected and then click Next.
- Select the Profiles you want the License Manager to be accessible from and then Click Next.
- Enter a Name and Description(optional) and then click Finish.
- To create a Firewall rule based on only the port:
- Repeat steps 1 - 2 above.
- Select TCP and then under Specific local ports: enter the port you entered above (default is 8080).
- Repeat steps 5-7 above.
NOTE: For organizations with enhanced server security, we are happy to provide our static IP and port information.
Step 6 Re-Connect the end-user software / PC's to the Network Security option.
- On end-user PCs, run any module of the software. The License Manager dialogue will automatically pop-up because the previous network license connection has been lost.
- Select "NETWORK SITE LICENSE"
NOTE: the end-user computer must be online and able to connect to the server computer at time of configuration.
To add a server license:
In smaller network situations, the "Scan" function works really well. In larger network situations - we recommend manually configuring the license, by pressing "ADD".
- Scanning for a Network License:
- Press "Scan"
- the software will start scanning the network for available licenses.
- Once a license(s) are located, the details will be displayed in the scan.
- Press CANCEL to stop scanning and view the found licenses.
- Manually Configuring a Network License:
- Press "ADD"
- Enter the server name or IP address. (Note: the IP address is displayed in the top right corner of the license manager)
- Enter the port # as configured in the license manager.
- Press "VERIFY and ADD"
NOTE: If the server has a fluctuating IP address, we recommend adding by Name vs IP.
- Select the desired available license:
- Select the desired Available License (if more than one) and press Connect.