Setting up the Traverse Entry Screen
Updated October 17, 2017
This article applies to:
- Terrain Forestry
- RoadEng Forestry
- Open the Survey/Map Module. Select Setup | Module Setup.
- On the Units tab check that the Units are in metric. If correct press Cancel.
- File | New, select Traverse Document. Press OK.
The Starting Coordinate dialogue box will open. If you enter a start coordinate in a known coordinate system (UTM, Albers, State Plane, etc), the traverse will be geo-referenced. This is useful for exporting to GIS systems or Google Earth (see Terrain module). If you are not concerned where the traverse is located geographically you can accept the default coordinate which is (0,0,100).
- For this example, we will accept the default. Press OK.
The following steps demonstrate how layout files can be used to quickly change the screen format.
- View | Retrieve Screen Layout and select <Defaults and Layouts>\Training\training block.slt. Notice how the columns change after this screen layout is read in. Change back to the default screen layout, by selecting normal.slt from the Screen Layouts box.
Note: Commonly used screen layout files are saved in the <Defaults and Layouts> directory allowing them to be accessed from the Screen Layouts box. See Getting Started. Layout files are useful for personalizing the Survey/Map module screen. Window options such as scales, columns, tab/enter sequence etc. can be setup and saved in a layout file for future use. The default layout screen for a new traverse is normal.slt.
- To customize the traverse entry screen and create a personalized layout file, choose Traverse | Traverse Entry Button or double click on any gray area of the traverse notes to pop up the Traverse Entry Options dialogue box shown in the figure below.
Figure 1: Traverse Entry Options Dialogue Box
- To add or remove columns, press the Columns button to open Columns Select dialogue box as shown below.
Figure 2: Columns Select Dialogue Box
- Change the items in the Displayed list to match the Displayed list in the figure above.
- To remove an item from the Displayed list, highlight it and press the Unselect button.
- To add an item to the Displayed list, highlight it under Available and press the Select button. The new item will appear at the bottom of the Displayed list.
- Use the Shift Up or Shift Down buttons to move item positions in the list. When done, press OK.
- Click on the Tab/Enter Sequence button to open a similar dialogue box to the figure above. Using the same procedure as above, list in order Label, Type, Fore Shot, Slope and S.Dist. in the Selected list. Press OK twice to close both dialogue boxes.
Note: To enter horizontal distance, use Traverse | Traverse Entry button, and select the Tab/Enter Sequence option then add H. Dist. At the same time remove S.Dist.
- View | Save. Save the layout as unit in the <Defaults and Layouts>\Training\training unit
A Softree Prompt appears stating “To make the layout available in your tool bar it must end in.dlt (Location), .ilt (Terrain), .slt or .mlt (Survey/Map).“ Press OK.
The new customizations are now saved (along with the rest of the Traverse Entry Options), so that they can be retrieved at another time without having to re-customize. The screen layout will be saved with the given name and the extension *.slt. If you save a screen layout to the \RoadEng directory, it will appear in the Screen Layouts Box in the tool bar for quick access.