Updated November 15, 2017
This article applies to:
- RoadEng Civil
- RoadEng Forestry
Assigning a Roadside Barrier to a Range of Stations
Templates can be assigned to a range of stations. The following example will demonstrate how this is done by adding a road side barrier to one side of a road.
Note: Refer to Getting Started section for file install folders (<RoadEngCivil> and <Defaults and Layouts>).
- Open <RoadEngCivil>\Location2\bluff_road.dsnx.
Creating a New Template
- Select Home |Templates, to open the template table editor.
- Right click RUR-Rural and select menu Copy.
- Right click Templates and select menu Paste | As New to create a new template. The new template (xx0-Rural) is highlighted and appears at the bottom of the list.
- Use the Shift Up button to move the new template to just under RUR-rural.
- Click on the Properties button and type in BAR in Name and Rural Paved with Barrier in Description. Press OK.
Figure 1: Template Properties
Now that you have a new template, you need to add the barrier component.
- Open the Walls and Barriers folder and choose Barrier-left. Right click and Copy it to the clipboard.
- Locate new template BAR- Rural Paved with Barrier template created above. Right click and choose menu Paste | As New to add the new barrier component. It will appear at the bottom of the components list.
- Open the of the Select Barrier-left component Properties…| change CL_OFFSET parameter to 15. Press OK to exit the properties dialogue box. Your template should now appear as in the figure below:
Figure 2: Template with Barrier
- To make this template more useful, we will put the barrier on both sides. Right click on Barrier-left and Copy it to the clipboard. Right click again on Barrier-left and select menu Paste | As New- Right.
- Press OK to accept the changes and close the template editor. It is all right to respond Cancel to the recalculate prompt because the new template has not been assigned yet.
Assigning the Template
- If you had problems with the previous steps or if you wish to start here, open <RoadEngCivil>\Location2\bluff_road-2.dsnx.
- Home | Assign by Range to open the Assign Attributes by Range dialogue box (Figure 18‑3). Select the Templates tab.
Figure 3: Assigning a Template to a Station Range
- The barrier will be placed between stations 840 and 1080 but only on the left- hand side. In the Ranges area, select Left. Do this first because it resets the template name and range fields. In the Template Name control, choose BAR Rural Paved with Barrier. In the From Stn. edit box enter 840 and in To Stn. enter 1080. Press the Add/Edit button. The dialogue box should appear as in the figure above.
Note: The most common mistake in the assignments dialogue box is to miss the Add/Edit step. If you Press OK before the ranges are updated, nothing happens.
- Press OK to return to the main screen. Respond OK to “Recalculate road alignment”.
- Select the section window Section | Jump to Station or <Ctrl-J>Jump to Station and select station 1000. Press OK to update the current section.
Adjust the view in the Section window so you can see the road side barrier.
- File | Close. Do not save changes.
Template Parameter Overrides
The previous section demonstrated how an entire template can be assigned to a range of stations. To do this a new template was created and assigned to a station range.
It is often desirable to change a single template parameter such as road or shoulder width, ditch depth, etc. for a range of stations. Template Parameter Overrides provides an easy way to do this.