Creating a Background Image With Live Maps
Updated September 18, 2020
This article applies to:
- Terrain 3D
- RoadEng Civil
- RoadEng Forestry
Note: This tutorial was completed by using RoadEng Terrain Version 9.
1. Create (or open) a terrain surface with features, save the file.
Figure 1: TIN Surface With Features
2. Make sure the file is geo-referenced.
Setup | Module Setup | Projection
3. Select the features of interest.
On the Plan Window, select the terrain features of interest. You can select multiple features by clicking on them while pressing the Shift key.
4. Launch Live Maps.
Home | Import
5. Save the image.
- Click on the Save button
- Adjust the Zoom bar to get a reasonable Image Size
Figure 2: Image Size Form
- Click on Save
- Click Yes on the Warning
- Save the JPEG image
- Click OK on the Warning
- Set the Image Quality to High
Figure 3: Image Import Options
- Click on OK
- Click on Apply Transformation
- Click OK on the two Softree warnings
Optional: To adjust the washout percentage:
Right-click on Plan Window: Active Window Options | Background | Properties
Figure 4: Background Properties
6. Save the result as a new terrain file.
Click on | Save As
Figure 5: Plan View With Background Image