Updating to the Version 9 Network License Manager
Updated January 30, 2020
This article applies to:
- Terrain 3D
- Terrain Forestry
- RoadEng Civil
- RoadEng Forestry
- Softree Optimal
Updating Softree Network License Manager on Server
Step #1 Un-install Current Network License Manager
Note: Before updating, please check that there are no licenses signed out or “borrowed”.
- Open the License Manager. Click Settings
- Under Settings make note of:
- License Name
- Checkout time
- Port number
- Select Display License Manager
- Copy and save Activation Code
- Press Return License
- Invalid License: Activation Key is empty message appears
- Press EXIT
- Un-install through Add/Remove Programs
Step #2 Install Network License Manager for Version 9 and Activate License
- Download and install Network Executable.EXE
- Once open, press ADD LICENSE.
- Copy and paste in your activation code
- Press "ACTIVATE" and press "CONTINUE".
Back in the license manager main area, you can now configure your network license options:
- Set a License Name
- Set a Port Code - the default is 8080, but you can configure this manually if that port is already in use by another software or device.
- Configure Check out length - adjust the slider to limit the length of time one of the users can take the software offline (1-100 days).
- Press "SAVE".
NOTE: If reinstalling new server executable on the same server location, we recommend re-creating license details (License Name, Checkout time, Port number) as the previous version, so that end-user computers automatically reconnect.
Step #3 Install Version 9 on End-User Computers
- Go to the Softree Support Version 9 Download page
- Download and install product
Note: you can have both Version 8 and Version 9 installed and running “side by side” but the shortcuts on the desktop are very similar (as shown below).
Note: You can have both Version 8 and Version 9 installed and running “side by side”. We deployed a new release of Version 8 (Version 8.0424 or later) that will allow you to Borrow and Return licenses in both Version 8 and 9.
Step #4 Reconnect End User Software to License Manager Server Executable
- Once installed, run any module of the software
- The License manager dialogue will automatically pop-up, select Network License
NOTE: the end-user computer must be online and able to connect to the server computer at time of configuration.
To add a server license: In smaller network situations, the "Scan" function works really well. In larger network situations - we recommend manually configuring the license, by pressing "ADD".
- Scanning for a Network License:
- Press "Scan"
- The software will start scanning the network for available licenses.
- Once a license(s) are located, the details will be displayed in the scan.
- Press CANCEL to stop scanning and view the found licenses.
- Manually Configuring a Network License:
- Press "ADD"
- Enter the server name or IP address. (Note: the IP address is displayed in the top right corner of the license manager)
- Enter the port # as configured in the license manager.
- Press "VERIFY and ADD"
NOTE: If the server has a fluctuating IP address, we recommend adding by Name vs IP.
- Select the desired available license:
- Select the desired Available License (if more than one) and press Connect.