USB (Hardlock) Key Security
Published April 26, 2016
This article applies to:
- Terrain 3D
- Terrain Forestry
- RoadEng Civil
- RoadEng Forestry
- Softree Optimal
All Softree products require either a password or a security hardlock key to convert the software from demonstration mode to full function mode.
A USB Security hardlock key is a hardware device that attaches to a USB port. Unlike password security, a hardlock key allows you to move your license(s) between computers easily. USB security keys are available for stand-alone computers (single user) or network solutions (multiple users). This section applies to Single User keys only.
A single user key can be used on any computer, whether or not it is not connected to a network. In order for the software to recognize the security key the Security Hardlock Key Drivers must be installed on your computer.
Single User Key Installation
Note: DO NOT attach a USB key until the drivers are installed and your computer has been restarted.
The security hardlock drivers (Sentinel Protection Installer) can be installed from three different options: installed from CD, installed through the software, downloaded from support.softree.com
(1) Installation CD shipped with new purchases and upgrades.
- Select Install Security Key Drivers.
- If the Auto run is disabled. View the contents of the CD in Windows Explorer.
- Click on executable beside the purple ball.
- Select Install Security Driver files and security hardlock drivers.
(2) Accessed when opening in demonstration mode.
- Select I have a license. Press Continue.
- Select I have a local hardware key. Press Continue.
- The Local Hardware key dialog box opens. Select "Download Sentinel Protection Installer"
(3) Downloaded from the Softree Website.
- Go to Updates page
- Scroll down to the Hardlock driver section, click on "Download.zip"
- DO NOT attach the USB key until the drivers are installed. A restart may be required.
- First time the USB key is plugged in Windows recognizes a new device and installs additional drivers.
- USB keys are backward compatible
- Latest security drivers are required to remotely reprogram a USB key for another version or product.
Still in Demo Mode?
- Some computers have faulty USB ports. Attach USB key to another port.
- Try re-starting the computer. Remove USB key and attach after computer has restarted. If still in demonstration mode try a different port again.
- Check Device Manager. If the key is listed in “Other Devices” as “USB UltraPro or Sentinel HL” then follow the steps below to update the drivers manually.
- Right click on USB UltraPro or Sentinel HL under Other devices.
- Click on “update driver software”
- Select “Browse my computer for driver software”
- Browse the location to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SafeNet Sentinel\Sentinel System Driver
- Click next, you should get “Windows has successfully updated the driver”
If your software is still running in demonstration mode: Contact Softree.